Re: How to modify xorg.conf from command line in rescue console (F7)

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 09:16:26 -0500, "Mikkel L. Ellertson"
<mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Chris Jones wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Thank you, I did the following when Fedora7 again booted up after I
>>> reset the machine:
>>>
>>> - Stopped the automatic boot
>>> - Gave the command to edit the parameters
>>> - On the nextr screen I selected the line staring with kernel
>>> - Then I pressed e to edit
>>> - Then I added vesa i8042.noloop psmouse.proto=imps clock=pit at the
>>> end
>>> - Finally I pressed b to boot.
>>
>> Hmm, not clear to me if you have made a permanent change to you boot options
>> here, or just made a temporary runtime change, that will be lost the next
>> time you boot up.
>The changes made by editing from the menu are for that boot only.
>You have to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf (or one of the links to it) in
>order to keep the changes.
>
>One more thing - when editing grub.conf, you may want to remove rhgb
>option - you will lose the pretty graphical boot, but you are not
>seeing it anyway. (There is probably a way to fix it by setting the
>VGA mode, but I leave that to someone else.)

More problems....
After logging in as root and adding a normal account for myself I also
located and edited the grub.conf file to include the options I had
added manually to get the screen working correctly. So far so good.
Now a window popped up suggesting that i should install 178 updates
that it had found for my system...

At this time I should have checked that all was well by logging off
and logging on as the new account and also by restarting Fedore, but
instead I accepted the 178 updates...

After several hours of downloading and installing Fedora asked to
restart and I did so.

Unhappily, the start was no good. Now when the login screen should
appear in 16 bit color mode as per my changes in xorg.conf for some
reason it starts up in 24 bit bode and the screen is unintelligible.
:-(

My question now is if this failure is due to the 178 updates I allowed
to be installed or if it would not have worked anyway?

Is there a "plug-n-play" system also on Fedora that will see that the
video card I have should be able to run 24 bit and sets it like that
no matter what I have written in the xorg.conf file????

I have started with both kernels (yes, after the update there was
another kernel listed in the boot screen) too without change to the
basic functionality of destroying my video.

With or without rhgb makes no difference. :-(

Any ideas, please....

Bo Berglund