Re: How to modify xorg.conf from command line in rescue console (F7)

Hi,

> joe did not work (was not a recognized command) but nano did.

Most likely not installed. For reference, you can install it with

 > yum install joe

run as root, once you have networking going. However, I guess you can do what
you want with nano ...

> So I changed the default color depth from 24 to 16 and the actual also
> to 16. Saved and exited nano.
>
> Then typed exit twice after removing the install DVD (releasing the
> iso in VPC).
>
> What happened was that Fedore started and after some time it showed a
> black screen with the mouse cursor (X) centered and immovable. After a
> while more I had a garbled graphic screen and it looks like it is
> still using the 24 bit color depth.
> Since VPC2007 does not support this I can get no further. :-(
>
> So what I am wondering about now is why my changes to xorg.conf were
> not used? Is there something else one have to do?

I suggest you post the full xorg.conf file you now have on your running F7
system here...

> Are there any options I can add to the boot like I had to do on the
> install DVD boot? I added this to make the install work after using
> TAB on the setup screen:
>  vesa i8048.noloop psmouse.proto=imps clock=pit
>
> This apparently makes the setup use a graphic mode that VPC2007 can
> handle and it also fixes a problem in the Linux kernel for mouse
> handling (VPC2007 emulates the mouse as a PS2 device).
>
> But I have only found instructions on how to use these settings on the
> initial screen when starting the Fedora7 install DVD, not how to do it
> when Fedora itself starts up after the install has been done.
>
> Is there a file somewhere in which I can enter parameters like this
> from the rescue console (using nano) so they are used when the system
> starts up?

you need to learn a little about your /boot partition. This is where your
kernels live, and also where the configuration for grub lives, the boot
loader.

The file

/boot/grub/grub.conf

defines the options presented to you at the grub menu, and here you can add
any custom kernel options you like. Look for lines like

 kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.4-65.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ quiet

Its on this line you can append any options you want. I.e. to add the ones you
used by the installer, change to something like

 kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.4-65.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ quiet vesa i8048.noloop
psmouse.proto=imps clock=pit

its as easy as that. If you have more than one kernel option listed in there,
just add the options to them all. Also note, whenever new kernels are
installed your options are automatically copied to the new ones, so no need
to do it by hand again.

Chris