Re: Curiosity question for Electronic Engineers re: transistors ??

Thank you very much Les;

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 09:13 -0700, Les wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 07:02 -0400, William Case wrote:
[snip]
> Hi, Bill,
> 	Go to the INTEL website: www.intel.com.  On the right side is a menu.
> Choose processors.  From the list choose a processor of interest, and
> read the specification sheet (spec sheet is typically what techs call
> it.  Marketeers often call it the Product Specification).
>
> 	Essentially the vdd is the voltage capability of the transistors.  The
> speeds are dependent upon technology used in the design of the chip, the
> dopant, the quality of the silicon and various physical parameters
> related to packaging which limits the response speed of the I/O pins.
>
> 	The spec sheet will tell you all these things.  What you are likely
> interested in is Rt or Risetime, Ft or fall time, and maximum clock
> speed.  These parameters will give you the basics.  Some additional
> information about processors that determine their response capability to
> external signals is what is called setup time (the time one signal must
> be present before another signal can strobe for it), hold time (the time
> after the strobe signal which is required for a reliable latch of the
> signal into the next stage or state), and relative timing of addressing
> or mode signals.  All of this is in the specification.
>
> 	The same process will help you with TI or AMD products as well.
>
> Regards,
> Les H

Not only do I appreciate the directions, but your brief notes on symbol
interpretation as well.  I have made it a 3 year personal project to
understand how computers work.  I wanted to keep digging until I hit
bottom.  I guess I have hit bottom.  To go any further than these data
sheets would seem to require either more than my high school math and
physics, or a Phd in Quantum Mechanics.  I don't want to get into
either.

So, I thank you with a great deal of satisfaction.  My future plans are
not to dig the hole, as it were, any deeper but to start making it
wider.

Thanks again.

--
Regards Bill