Re: LABEL's

> You may have to zero if there's a filesystem already there.  I think
> it's always a good idea, and it can't hurt.
>
> Matt Flaschen

You don't have to zero even if there is a file system (again the
assumption being you are copying from /dev/ to /dev/ so dd writing to
the new dev starting at the very beginning of same).

But again I totally agree it's a good idea.  It's actually necessary
for some (i.e. computer forensic examiners restoring a suspect drive
or preparing a lab drive) for integrity purposes.

If you want to test it out and have two different size thumb drives on
hand dd the smaller thumb drive onto the larger one (make sure you
back both of them up first) without zero'ing it first.  You will note
that it will work just as well as the original.

Jacques B.