Re: DD not working

Jim Cornette wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
mount: /dev/sdb5 already mounted or /mnt busy

The last 2 lines say that /dev/sdb5 is mounted to this Old Hard Drive somehow. I did not do this. /etc/fsack did not do this. So not sure what

Yes you did. See your opening mail of the thread titled 'dd and cp -a' in which you say that you mounted it to /mnt, but didn't mention how. I am assuming you made it permanent by adding it to fstab. And if you did this, dd'ing the partition would take this setting over to the new drive.

Guys I am getting a information overload. My question is simple now. If I do it right is it possible to use dd to make a copy of this F7 to another Hard Drive?

Also you NEVER mount a partition that your dd transfering too. It finds it fine.

Wouldn't you lose 10 GB and the disk would appear to be a 20 GB disk also with dd?

What about making a /boot, a /home, a / and a swap partition on the new drive, create a filesystem and label the new partitions, then mount the new / under a /mnt/newdrive directory, create a boot and home partition on the new / partition so you could mount the to be new home drive under a /mnt/newdrive/home mount point and then do the same with the soon to be new boot directory under /mnt/newdrive/boot

Once the new disk partitions are mounted you could use rsync to replicate your present installation onto the new drive.

I did this once and was fairly successful and got the replicated disk to start to boot by using the rescue mode to run grub-install on the new disk. It was a sata drive and the other drive was an IDE so I had other issues with the attempt. If the target disk was IDE instead of a SATA drive, it might have worked.

Someone more familiar with rsync and the effects of /proc, /sys and other not truly directories might be able to answer to whether rsync would work when transferred to IDE to IDE. I figure the kernel panic that I got was because of the IDE to SATA attempt.

Using some replication program for Linux would probably be the best option rather than DD or rsync.

Jim

Hi Jim, well the third iteration of a dd to the new drive is ongoing. So When it is done I will not reboot until I have used fsck on the new file system. Last time I had big trouble even getting a chance to check the file system :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User