Re: ipv6, kill it once and for all

On 8/27/07, Henry Ritzlmayr <fedora-list@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I have the exact same lines in /etc/modprobe.conf and they work like
> charm (see below). How did the uncommented lines get into
> your /etc/modprobe.conf? - Try deleting them and recreate them from
> scratch (unseen special characters).
>
> alias net-pf-10 off
> alias ipv6 off

Are you using FC6? As I understand, that method no longer works in Fedora 7.
You must totally prevent the ipv6 module from loading as was stated previously.
I think an alternate method would be to blacklist ipv6.ko altogether:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

> In /etc/sysconfig/network I had to change the line
>
> NETWORKING_IPV6=yes

> NETWORKING_IPV6=no
>
> to completely get rid of IPV6.
>
> Henry

That option I believe was removed for Fedora 7.

It was pointed out to me that if there's a *real* problem which is
solved by disabling IPv6, then that's not normal -- that means there's
a bug either in Fedora or more likely a problem with the local network
(or nameservers) which should be reported and fixed.

Chances are you should report the problem to your ISP or network
admin. I understand that's not easy for everyone. If you believe it is
Fedora specific use bugzilla.

-Mauriat