Re: the clock stopped in F7 ?!

Mike wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Tim wrote:

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 16:26 -0700, Mike wrote:
Try 'cat /proc/interrupts | grep timer' two times or more.

Look at the number just to the right of '0:'

This should have incremented a bunch in between cat's.  If it didn't
then you likely have a hardware problem or the timer is failing to get
initialized.  If it is incrementing then I'm stumped...

I don't have the original poster's problem, but I tried that command to
see what happens.  The same results, each time:

[root@bigblack ~]# cat /proc/interrupts | grep timer
 0:        180   IO-APIC-edge      timer

Weird. I wonder if there is another interrupt used to 'bump' the clock? Just for grins try it w/o the grep. There should be a list of a dozen or so interrupts. See if the line associated with rtc is 'racing'. Or maybe there's yet another interrupt used (other than ethX, ideX etc.).

I had to do some precision timing in a previous life and had to muck with this stuff back then. At the time and even on the three machines I have here all use the timer interrupt to run the software clock. I 'spose other motherboards may do it differently...

-- Mike

My clock is fine and never seems to be more than a few seconds off. Here is my test:

[root@k5di ~]# cat /proc/interrupts | grep timer
 0:        807   IO-APIC-edge      timer
[root@k5di ~]# cat /proc/interrupts | grep timer
 0:        807   IO-APIC-edge      timer
[root@k5di ~]# cat /proc/interrupts | grep timer
 0:        807   IO-APIC-edge      timer
[root@k5di ~]# cat /proc/interrupts | grep timer
 0:        807   IO-APIC-edge      timer
[root@k5di ~]#

It is not changing either but my clock is accurate :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User