Re: memory report discrepancy

Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running FC6 x86_64 on an ASUS socket 939 motherboard. I have installed
> 2x1g DDR2-400 chips and 2x512meg DDR2-400. This is a total of 3 gigs but I
> consistently get a report of 2500 megs of installed RAM. Anyone able to
> suggest why this is?
>
> Dave

Dumb question - what order do you have the chips in? Check the
manual for your motherboard to see what configurations are
acceptable. Also check how much memory your BIOS is reporting. I
have run into strange cases in the past where if I put the smaller
memory modules in sockets 1 and 3, and the larger ones in 2 and 4,
the system would read the memory as if I had put in 4 of the smaller
modules. Also make sure your board is rated for 4 memory modules of
the speed you are using. If your BIOS does not see all of the RAM,
then Linux will not see it. (You can also try running memtest86+ on
it, and see how much memory it reports...)

Mikkel