Broadcom 4318 wireless again ...

I have been struggling with my wireless since FC 5. Although on a comparatively rare hardware (Apple ibook - ppc), problems were similar to those reported by users with a different architecture. I have tried the old-style driver (bcm43xx) as well as the new-style one (bcm43xx_mac80211). After a lot of reading, some reports to bugzilla (which turned out to be quite responsive and helpful, btw), and long and sometimes frustrating experimentation, I got both drivers to associate somehow, but eventually I stuck with the old one which seemed to be more reliable and gave me a stable connection with WPA encryption.

Whenever a new kernel comes up (and when I have some spare time) I give the new driver another try. Now, today we have 2.6.22.4-65 (Sunday afternoon), so I fired up the new driver again (won't give you the details now how I did the change) which is now called b43, but the name is aliased to bcm43xx_mac8021.

Now to my problem: I can activate the device with the new driver, run wpa_supplicant to associate to my access point, get an ip address with dhclient, and iwconfig tells me that there is a connection established with a speed of 54 Mbits/s, but - I can't get to the Internet. Pings are extremely slow, when trying to go to a web site the browser tells me that it is performing a look up but it ends up in an error (can't connect). So what's going on there? There seems to be nothing wrong in the output of dmesg, ifconfig, iwconfig ...