Re: bash cli

> > Oh dear, I've forgotten what the bash cli is to see the output of a
> > command line input (it dumps  result to screen). Pretty much the same
> > bash functionality as Ctrl-R gives one a rolling history of entered
> > commands.
>
> You don't mean just using the cursor up and down arrows to step through
> what was last command line typed, one command line at a time?
>
> e.g. If the last three command lines I'd typed had been "cd /tmp" then
> "ls" then "touch something", cursoring up would show those command lines
> again, one at a time, at the current prompt, and I could press enter to
> re-issue that command (or edit it, first)

Thanks Tim, but I think I should steer away from the history stack
example and emphasise that it's more a forking output to the
foreground (stdout) thing.

As I described earlier, if I had to enter:

# pidof mysqld

say, and this cli returned null, there is something that I can do to
pipe the actual return to stdout, even if it's default is to return
null to monitor (stdout).

HTH with the description :-)

Stu@

--
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.