Re: X windows freezes on start

Kam Leo wrote:
On 8/20/07, Langdon Stevenson <langdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I decided to check if X works on my new server and ran into the
following problem:

Server starts at run level 3 and operates fine.

When I:

   startx

from the command line, X loads, then when it reaches the point where it
displays the splash screen for login, the splash screen flashes up for a
moment, with the cursor displaying as a hash of colour, then the screen
goes blank.

I can ssh into the machine from another workstation, so the machine
hasn't hung.  "top" reveals that the X process is now thrashing the CPU
away at 100%.  But no response from keyboard or monitor of the server
itself.

Only way to bring it back is to do a shutdown via the ssh session.

Can anyone suggest how I should go about debugging this issue?

Regards,
Langdon

1. Your chance of getting the proper advice greatly improves if you
told us what video card and display is attached to your system.

2. If you are using a recent model ATI or Nvidia graphics card enable
the Livna repository grab and install the appropriate rpm.

3. Run "system-config-display --reconfigure" to properly configure
your video card and display.

With the problem indicated, I think he is running the closed source binary driver.

I have this problem and spent last night trying to see if I can make any changes to get my machine to quit freezing.

I have an nvidia card and I tried the Livna driver first. My machine would freeze at almost anything I did that pushed the video. Frustration.

I put in the freshrpms driver with dkms and I never had a lockup, just screen issues.

I tried the Nvidia driver following their instructions and lockups were worse than the livna driver.

Putting the noapic apic=no in grub stopped the lockups.

In all cases the Xorg would climb to 98%+ but not crash. Just made the machine unresponsive. Only option was reboot or killing xorg from a ssh session.

I can get the nv driver to climb to over 80% but not make the machine un-responsive.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.