Re: iptables has amnesia :-)

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 06:56 -0700, Don Russell wrote:
> Don Russell wrote:
> > Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> >> I must have deleted a section of my message somehow before I sent it
> >> - there should be advice about changing 2 variables, but there is
> >> the default state of one, and the needed state of the other...

> >> Please post back what you find, as this seams to be a strange one -
> >> the rules should not vanish on a normally running system.  Are
> >> logging out and logging back in at the console, or bringing down an
> >> interface, and bringing it back up between setting the rules, and
> >> then vanishing?
> >>
> >> Mikkel
> >>

> > IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_RESTART and IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_STOP are both set to the
> > default value of "no".
> >
> > So, I guess my question becomes, when does the firewall stop or restart?
> >
> > I log on to a non-root user via ssh, then "su -"/"exit" to make the
> > iptables changes.... I have not restarted the whole machine, nor have
> > I restarted the iptables service.... does it restart periodically for
> > some reason? I haven't added anything to cron etc to make that happen...
> >
> > I'm not restarting the interface....
> >
> > I don't see what I could have done that cause d the firewall to
> > stop/restart....
>
> To quote Alice.... "Curiouser and curiouser..."
>
> This morning I can't connect to webmin again.... when I connect to my
> FC7 box via ssh and use iptables -L... sure enough, the two rules are
> gone again.... and this is AFTER I did a "'service iptables save", when
> I added the two rules yesterday.
>
> #iptables -I INBOUND 13 -p tcp --dport 10000 -j ACCEPT
> #iptables -I INBOUND 14 -p tcp --dport 20000 -j ACCEPT
> #service iptables save
> Saving firewall rules to /etc/sysconfig/iptables:    [ OK ]
>
> The good news is... when I can't connect to webmin, I know what to look
> for right away and it's solved (temporarily) in a minute....

Are you sure you don't have a rootkit on there?  I don't know of a
way for the iptables to get changed except by a command being run.
If you're not doing it, it's either a cron job somewhere or a lurking
hacker.  You might want to try doing an nmap scan against the machine
and see which ports are open to see if there's a back door that
someone's using.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-          Programmers often confuse Halloween and Christmas.        -
-              After all, 31 Oct is the same as 25 Dec!              -