Re: Fedora 7 keeps locking up

R A Jon Hamelin wrote:

    Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
    Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Hi Karl:

Thanks for the quick response.

I pulled the DVD burner in question and replaced it with one that I know works with F7. Same issue +. Now, upon reboot, I get the message "Overclocking failed. Press F1 to enter setup". The system has never been overclocked, so I don't know where this came from. In addition the system clock is reset and behind by 6 or 7 hours

The media has passed the preinstall test, the burners are used on other systems with F7 & FC6 with no issues. The F7_live_i386 loads fine on the machine in question, however, locks after installing, rebooting and running First Boot. This is my first use of a chipset other than Intel, and am wondering if it is the SiS chipset??

Once I installed the F7_live_86_64 from ram on the P5B-VM DO, ( Intel Q965 Express) I had no further problems. I have burned close to 50 DVD's with the LG burner and no coasters, so I wonder.

I would like to donate the PIII that this machine will be replacing in time for the new school year, but need the replacement up and running before this can happen.

Thanks,
Jon

I had this issue for a while on my ASUS. It was so long ago. Since the issues seems to start before you access the OS, that is where you have to look.

Try the bios reset and check to see if there is a BIOS update available. Also check the power supply voltages as I have had really weird problems occur when my 5V rail dropped below spec. System worked but weird things happened.

If removing the DVD allows the machine to boot, it could be related to the PS as the DVD would increase the load. I had one DVD burner replaced under warranty due to the power supply.

FWIW, two Antec 550W power supplies had the same issue with the 5V rail dropping low. A known problem from what I see on the net. Purchased over a year apart.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.