Re: F7 keeps locking up

Les H wrote:
Overclocking is a result of a misset bios code.  There is speed control
code in F7 (and FC6) which might cause this, but I don't know the name
of the precise bit of software.  What did you find when you pressed F7?

Is the bios setup correctly?  If not, most bios's have a "reset to
default" capability which can be used to restore the basic setup and
then you can customize it as needed, if you are familiar with BIOS
setups.  Otherwise, you may have misset one of the bus clocking bits or
the cpu frequency.  Was this system working and you just loaded F7 or is
it a virgin system?

Regards,
Les H
BIOS is set to standard for performance and memory etc. is set to Auto. Because of this message (Overclocking failed...) and the fact that my system clock is reset 5 or 6 hours behind for no apparent reason, I double checked the settings in BIOS as well as ran Memtest86. All seems to be OK. The system was only running XP Pro prior to my attempt to install F7.

I have had the joy of dealing with BIOS problems since my first computer--an Apple II-- and have always put my own systems together. Even the Apple II was a clone from Hong Kong . However, after following the threads for BIOS recently, I didn't really want to go there.

Thanks,

Jon

--
R A Jon Hamelin