ssh password problem

I had ssh set up and working. Then I got passwordless ssh working using rsa public keys.

Now, some days later, I can't get ssh to authenticate either way and in either direction. (Same user on both machines.)

I'm asked for the password (3 times in sequence), but it is rejected every time. I do enter the password correctly. I log in locally using the same passwords without a problem.

Since the password request appears, I'd think that the connection can be established, and that the problem lies within the domain of authentication, but am a bit perplexed as to how to proceed. How can I figure out what the problem is?

You have been very helpful in the past, so I chance a:

Thanks in advance!

Frode Petersen