Re: F7 keeps locking up

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 08:45 -0700, R A Jon Hamelin wrote:
> Les H wrote:
> > Overclocking is a result of a misset bios code.  There is speed control
> > code in F7 (and FC6) which might cause this, but I don't know the name
> > of the precise bit of software.  What did you find when you pressed F7?
> >
> > Is the bios setup correctly?  If not, most bios's have a "reset to
> > default" capability which can be used to restore the basic setup and
> > then you can customize it as needed, if you are familiar with BIOS
> > setups.  Otherwise, you may have misset one of the bus clocking bits or
> > the cpu frequency.  Was this system working and you just loaded F7 or is
> > it a virgin system?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Les H
> BIOS is set to standard for performance and  memory etc. is set to Auto.
> Because of this message (Overclocking failed...) and the fact that my
> system clock is reset 5 or 6 hours behind for no apparent reason, I
> double checked the settings in BIOS as well as ran Memtest86. All seems
> to be OK. The system was only running XP Pro prior to my attempt to
> install F7.
>
> I have had the joy of dealing with BIOS problems since my first
> computer--an Apple II-- and have always put my own systems together.
> Even the Apple II was a clone from Hong Kong .  However, after following
> the threads for BIOS recently, I didn't really want to go there.

Hi, Jon,
	I understand.  In a message that was sent about the same time, I read
that someone else had seen this message.  To me this is indicative of
some kind of call/return error in software, or a stack overflow.  Where
are you using your system?  I only ask in reference to the possibility
of someone trying to hack in.

	If we think about the process, the system boots, correct?  Then after
some time it locks up.  If the lockup is not related to the application
you are running, then there has to be something happening to create that
situation.  On an older system I have here, it is memory constrained.  I
ran into this situation in FC 6 with just too many processes for the
available memory.  It truly appeared hung, but if I waited long enough
it eventually did begin to process things.  I eventually asked questions
about what processes were running and began shutting things down, and
soon had a pretty good system, although its video board (a very old ATI)
just wasn't up to the task I asked of it.  I still have it and play with
it sometimes, but it is truly beyond use for VR or voluminous graphics
even after paring down the processes.  I was successful in loading F7 on
it though.

	Back to your problem... try turning off unneeded processes.  First
boot, network manager, and so forth, working down each process until you
find the "magic" one that quits hanging up.  Or if you can get process
information via a remote login with another computer, look at which are
the newest ones to see which might be most suspect.  That could shorten
the troubleshooting cycle.

	I don't know how frequently the hangups are, so I have no clue how long
it might take you to feel confident that no hangup is occuring.

	If you can successfully find the culprit process, tell the list here
and someone may be able to provide more information.

	Also check the logs to see if there is any "startup" occuring that
might be suspect.  And finally the powersupply may be a problem.  try
removing any external usb stuff to limit supply loads, and if you can,
remove any unneeded disks.  Drooping supplies manifest in a number of
unique ways and don't often yield to normal troubleshooting.  If it is a
laptop, you can try running on battery power to isolate your house
electrical from the equation.  If the outlet you use is switched, change
to a different outlet.  I have had wall switches drop voltage on me and
also cause odd noise hanging systems up.

	These are the things I can think of, and some you may have already
tried or may have been suggested by others.

	Unfortunately hung systems often don't give us much to go on for
isolating problems.
Regards,
Les H