Re: New F7 install crashes on boot -

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 04:57 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I had returned a CD/DVD drive to LiteOn under warranty about a month
> ago and it came back the other day, looked used but had a different
> serial number.  I figured they were playing "musical chairs" with the
> equipment

Manufacturers do do that.  If they find returned goods aren't actually
faulty, they may re-use them for warrentee replacements (which sounds
sensible enough).  If they repair returned goods, they may re-use
them.

Unfortunately, sometimes they just flog off returned faulty goods as if
nothing was wrong with them, hoping the next person won't complain.
That happened to me when I returned a very expensive faulty microphone.
The replacement that came back was the same one, it had a scratch in a
place I recognised, and still had my gaffer tape holding their broken
box together.  The distributor was highly embarrassed when I spoke to
him about it.  His solution was to ask for another replacement, but not
give them my faulty one back to them until afterwards.  Which, I guess,
means that some other person ended up with the faulty one, eventually.

> but installed it in what had been an F7 computer I thought was working
> well and immediately began to see seg faults!
>
> I put the old drive back, same problem!  That would seem to vindicate
> the replacement drive would it not, or had it done damage to something
> else?

It might be that particular model of drive doesn't work well for you,
either with the rest of your hardware, or software (including the OS).
That sort of problem's not unknown.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386