Re: New F7 install crashes on boot -

Andy Green wrote:

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2

I had a laptop I upgraded that showed similar intractable symptoms...
it was able to boot after I physically removed the DVD drive from the
laptop.  Since the same setup worked fine with older kernels I guess it
will be able to go back in there one day when a later kernel can cope
with the motherboard controller chipset or the DVD device or whatever it
is it didn't like.

-Andy

Interesting you should mention the DVD drive. I had returned a CD/DVD drive to LiteOn under warranty about a month ago and it came back the other day, looked used but had a different serial number. I figured they were playing "musical chairs" with the equipment but installed it in what had been an F7 computer I thought was working well and immediately began to see seg faults! I put the old drive back, same problem! That would seem to vindicate the replacement drive would it not, or had it done damage to something else? I absolutely dread another telephone session with LiteOn tech support, it took five calls to get them to agree to accept the drive for "repair" initially. Only way I could do that was to put another old hard drive in the computer and install Windows 2000 on it, better to take the forty dollar loss I think.

Bob Goodwin