Re: Alternative booting

Karl Larsen wrote:

To get grub to work I will have to put a stage 1 on the new (hd0) hard drive. What a stupid system!

That's a bios issue. Grub will happily install things where you tell it. You might be installing a disk that you are planning to move to a different position or computer.

Good god, your telling me this bios which is 9 years old is just now dead? Your saying no-one has ever got a grub to use (hd1)? I think your full of it.

Your bios may or may not be able to boot from the 2nd drive, but if it does it will remap it as drive 0 for the bios requests that stage 1 uses to load the kernel, so you'd have to take that into account in the grub setup. On the other hand you should have no problem installing grub in the boot sector of the 1st drive but telling it /boot is on the second drive. Also, a bios of that age probably can't access cylinders above 1024 so if you have bigger disks you need to make /boot a small partition at the start of the drive or it will just be a matter of chance whether you can load the kernel and initrd image which has to be done with bios calls.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx