Re: Alternative booting

Les Mikesell wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 09:46 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
Grub is bad period! I used a rescue cd and when up I typed grub and it came up after a while and I typed this:

grub> root (hd1,5)
Your boot partition is the fifth one? Remember, this "root" is for the
"/boot" partition, not the system "/" root.

It could be - I believe the installer defaults to using all logical
partitions if there is another OS on the drive.

Mikkel
There is nothing but Linux on this computer. That is not the problem. The problem is Grub on F7. It goes through the motions of setting itself up but fails!

It doesn't fail - you just told it to install somewhere that your bios isn't loading. Normally what you want to do for alternate booting is install grub in the boot sector of your first hard drive with /boot as the 1st partition. You can install alternate kernels and initrd images there and set up a choice of which to load and which partition to set up as root - or you can chain-load another boot loader in a different partition.

I'm sorry Les your still full of it. I just rebooted to FC6 and there I put the proper stage on my new hard drive and now it boots up for the first time without the old 30 GB hard drive. The Grub on F7 is bad and I will work with it a bit and then write a bug report on what is wrong.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User