Re: Motherboard info

> So, is the system using 1024 MB of RAM, or only 256? It is dead slow,
> and I easily outtype it (I wait to see my letters appear on the

Outtype it using which software?

> screen). All software is _slow_, especially digikam which we use a
> lot. Note that mplayer video and mp3 files in Amarok play fine.

$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      2051868 kB

will tell you what Linux is actually seeing and using.  But lack of
memory can only be the problem if it is falling back to swap, so your
HDD is always going.

Perhaps it is more likely cpuspeed has slowed the processor down due to
it being mostly idle?  Use

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

and see what speed it reported there after the machine is idle for some
time.

-Andy