Motherboard info

The wife's desktop has a 1.3 GHz AMD Duron processor on an unknown
motherboard, that came with 128*1 MB RAM. I've upgraded it to 512*2 =
1 GB RAM. The m/b has only two slots for accepting RAM. Today, I
noticed this:

[root@localhost ~]# dmidecode

--snip--

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 8 bytes.
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: ECS
        Product Name: K7SOM+
        Version: 1.0
        Serial Number: 00000000

--snip--

Handle 0x0007, DMI type 5, 24 bytes.
Memory Controller Information
        Error Detecting Method: 32-bit ECC
        Error Correcting Capabilities:
                Single-bit Error Correcting
        Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
        Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
        Maximum Memory Module Size: 128 MB
        Maximum Total Memory Size: 512 MB
        Supported Speeds:
                70 ns
                60 ns
        Supported Memory Types:
                Standard
                FPM
                EDO
                Parity
                ECC
                SIMM
        Memory Module Voltage: 3.3 V
        Associated Memory Slots: 4
                0x0008
                0x0009
                0x000A
                0x000B
        Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities:
                Single-bit Error Correcting

Handle 0x0008, DMI type 6, 12 bytes.
Memory Module Information
        Socket Designation: ROW-0
        Bank Connections: 6 11
        Current Speed: Unknown
        Type: DIMM SDRAM
        Installed Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Enabled Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Error Status: OK

Handle 0x0009, DMI type 6, 12 bytes.
Memory Module Information
        Socket Designation: ROW-1
        Bank Connections: 6 11
        Current Speed: Unknown
        Type: DIMM SDRAM
        Installed Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Enabled Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Error Status: OK

Handle 0x000A, DMI type 6, 12 bytes.
Memory Module Information
        Socket Designation: ROW-2
        Bank Connections: 0 0
        Current Speed: Unknown
        Type: Unknown
        Installed Size: Not Installed
        Enabled Size: Not Installed
        Error Status: OK

Handle 0x000B, DMI type 6, 12 bytes.
Memory Module Information
        Socket Designation: ROW-3
        Bank Connections: 0 0
        Current Speed: Unknown
        Type: Unknown
        Installed Size: Not Installed
        Enabled Size: Not Installed
        Error Status: OK

--snip--

[root@localhost ~]#

The info looks like I've got four RAM slots, with a max capacity of
128 MB for each, giving a total of 512 MB. However, looking at the
m/b, there are clearly only two slots. Is 768 MB (1024 - 2*128) of RAM
going to waste? It also lists 5 PCI slots, although the m/b clearly
has only two. Googling the motherboard product name leads me to
believe that what I'm seeing in the case is the right m/b, and that
the info in dmidecode is incorrect.

So, is the system using 1024 MB of RAM, or only 256? It is dead slow,
and I easily outtype it (I wait to see my letters appear on the
screen). All software is _slow_, especially digikam which we use a
lot. Note that mplayer video and mp3 files in Amarok play fine.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/