Re: smbfs support broken in FC7?

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On 8/16/07, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Note: this question is not "what do I use instead of smbfs" it's "how do
I get smbfs working?" FAQs read, searches done, not interested in CIFS
since the server doesn't speak it. I need to get data off a machine
which speaks only SMB, so I'm looking for ways to do that. I have two
servers which write logs I need, and I'm tired of using an old FC1 box
to do it. Surely core functionality like SMB hasn';t really been
removed, has it?

Using CIFS, linking mount.cifs to mount.smbfs, downloading several
smbmount "replacements" which don't work, and other obvious things found
in a few hours of search and swear testing. The error was
  error 112 = host is down
which I guess means "host wants to talk SMB not CIFS" in reality.

Other info:
.  smbtree can see the filesystems required, discard all the hardware,
network, etc, guesses
. the new machines with FC7 send packets to the right host, but they
aren't using SMB
  as confirmed by tcpdump, discard DNS guesses
. the host is up for ping and ftp, and various other distributions from
FC1 to FC4 are able to mount
  the f/s (those were the machines not in production) discard host and
server problem guesses

If the machine speaks SMB, then CIFS will work, most likely, you're
trying to mount using the netbios names.

Just what other names do you expect the old server to know? As noted in the O.P. smbtree can see the machine and the shares, and they have the names I'm using. I don't know where any other names would appear.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>