smbfs support broken in FC7?

Note: this question is not "what do I use instead of smbfs" it's "how do I get smbfs working?" FAQs read, searches done, not interested in CIFS since the server doesn't speak it. I need to get data off a machine which speaks only SMB, so I'm looking for ways to do that. I have two servers which write logs I need, and I'm tired of using an old FC1 box to do it. Surely core functionality like SMB hasn';t really been removed, has it?

Using CIFS, linking mount.cifs to mount.smbfs, downloading several smbmount "replacements" which don't work, and other obvious things found in a few hours of search and swear testing. The error was
 error 112 = host is down
which I guess means "host wants to talk SMB not CIFS" in reality.

Other info:
. smbtree can see the filesystems required, discard all the hardware, network, etc, guesses . the new machines with FC7 send packets to the right host, but they aren't using SMB
 as confirmed by tcpdump, discard DNS guesses
. the host is up for ping and ftp, and various other distributions from FC1 to FC4 are able to mount the f/s (those were the machines not in production) discard host and server problem guesses

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc