Re: smbfs support broken in FC7?

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 19:10 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Note: this question is not "what do I use instead of smbfs" it's "how do
> I get smbfs working?" FAQs read, searches done, not interested in CIFS
> since the server doesn't speak it. I need to get data off a machine
> which speaks only SMB, so I'm looking for ways to do that. I have two
> servers which write logs I need, and I'm tired of using an old FC1 box
> to do it. Surely core functionality like SMB hasn';t really been
> removed, has it?
>
> Using CIFS, linking mount.cifs to mount.smbfs, downloading several
> smbmount "replacements" which don't work, and other obvious things found
> in a few hours of search and swear testing. The error was
>   error 112 = host is down
> which I guess means "host wants to talk SMB not CIFS" in reality.
>
> Other info:
> .  smbtree can see the filesystems required, discard all the hardware,
> network, etc, guesses
> . the new machines with FC7 send packets to the right host, but they
> aren't using SMB
>   as confirmed by tcpdump, discard DNS guesses
> . the host is up for ping and ftp, and various other distributions from
> FC1 to FC4 are able to mount
>   the f/s (those were the machines not in production) discard host and
> server problem guesses

If you can be more specific, it'd help.  We use Samba a hell of a lot
and it depends on which security model you're using, user names,
kerberos tickets, timestamps and several other items.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                    Do you know where _your_ towel is?              -