RE: fedora 7 - legacy USB?

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mikkel L. Ellertson
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:02 PM
To: For users of Fedora
Subject: Re: fedora 7 - legacy USB?

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tuesday August 14 2007 4:03:31 pm Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> The keyboard controller is a chip on your motherboard that handles
>> communication between the computer and the keyboard.
>> It used to be a discrete chip, and would sometimes be included in a
>> BIOS update chip set. I would suspect that is is part of a
>> multi-function chip on most new motherboards.
>
> I learned this the hard way, by hot-plugging an old atx keyboard (is
> that what they called them? the ones with the big fat cylindrical
> plug)

I believe they were called AT keyboard connectors, although the same
connector was used on the PC, XT, AT, 386, 486, and Pentium machines. (At
the same time, the PS/2 connector could be found on some XT class and later
machines...) Note that the PC and XP had a different keyboard layout then
the later machines.

> into the computer. After hours of
> troubleshooting we figured out the keyboard IC was hosed - that was 20
> years ago, when we really had to try to fix things because it was real
> expensive to replace them. I think you're right, the keyboard is now
> controlled by a mutlifunction chip.
> I'm suspecting that chip to be his problem - he says he's sure he's
> plugged into the right PS/2 connector. That's a pretty dire diagnosis,
> which is why I keep trying to think of things he should try.

Well, with the keyboard failing in multiple OS's when used in other then the
default mode, I suspect that there is a hardware or firmware problem that
shown up when you try to change setting on the keyboard controller. A
software problem would not show up in both Windows and Linux. A hardware or
firmware problem would. Because the problem stays with the computer, and not
the keyboard, it points to a motherboard problem.

There is a slim chance that it may be a power problem. Depending on the
motherboard, there may be a jumper to select where the keyboard gets it
power. There is an option to have the keyboard powered even when the
computer is suspended. You can use the keyboard to wake up the system. On at
least one of my systems it is called +5VSB and requires that the power
supply supply at least 1A on the +5VSB lead.
Now, if his keyboard is jumpered that way, and some of his USB sockets are
also jumpered that way, then there may not be enough power then the USB
devices are turned on. (My USB sockets also have the option to be powered
from this source, to let USB devices wake up the system.) It is a long shot,
but it is worth looking into. If this is the case, then changing to a USB
keyboard may not help if it gets powered off the same supply.

Mikkel

Hmm ok well im gonna look into buying a usb keyboard then. Since it seems
that this problem is motherboard based in hopes of helping you to help me
find the problem I am using a gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard.
-Jerome