Re: fedora 7 - legacy USB?

On Tuesday August 14 2007 4:03:31 pm Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> The keyboard controller is a chip on your motherboard that
> handles communication between the computer and the keyboard.
> It used to be a discrete chip, and would sometimes be included
> in a BIOS update chip set. I would suspect that is is part of
> a multi-function chip on most new motherboards.

I learned this the hard way, by hot-plugging an old atx keyboard
(is that what they called them? the ones with the big fat
cylindrical plug) into the computer. After hours of
troubleshooting we figured out the keyboard IC was hosed - that
was 20 years ago, when we really had to try to fix things
because it was real expensive to replace them. I think you're
right, the keyboard is now controlled by a mutlifunction chip.
I'm suspecting that chip to be his problem - he says he's sure
he's plugged into the right PS/2 connector. That's a pretty dire
diagnosis, which is why I keep trying to think of things he
should try.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA