Re: GRUB trouble

> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>    Who gave this name to your stuff. There is no such thing as a fake
>> raid and not sure why you have it :-)

http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html

Many controllers on the market, or coming on the market are sold as
"RAID controllers", but this term have become increasingly ambiguous
over time.

    * Sometimes the term refers to controllers where the OS driver
is mostly unaware of the underlying disk devices attached to the
controller. The OS driver only sees RAID arrays, and uses
RAID-specific commands to read/write data. These controllers are
what I call true hardware RAID.
    * Sometimes the term refers to controllers where the OS driver
and card's on-board flash BIOS provide 100 percent of the RAID
capability. This is called software RAID, or less flatteringly, fake
RAID.
    * Occasionally, the term refers to controllers that have special
features designed to enhance RAID, but still the OS driver must use
normal ATA or SCSI commands to talk to the underlying disk devices.
I classify these unique controllers as RAID accelerators, as they
fall somewhere in between hardware RAID and software RAID.

Mikkel