Re: GRUB trouble

David Krings wrote:
Hi!

I have the Asus M2n32-SLI Deluxe board with 2x SATA as RAID1 on the FakeRAID nVidia SATA controller.
   Sorry I have no idea what you have. I can be of no help to you.

F7_64 installed fine and booted fine, but then I decided to add updates and a good load of applications to the system. After that the boot hangs at the grub> prompt and that is basically the point where I need some help.

Other information in bullet points:
- GRUB installed on MBR of FakeRAID
- worked fine several times
- dual boot with XP64
- have a Promise IDE controller with 2 PATA drives present
- the F7 install is on the second parition of the mirror raid

I did try install and setup at the grub prompt, but I have no idea how the INSTALL_DEVICE is called as it is to be the FakeRAID, which was named nvidia_andthensomething.
Who gave this name to your stuff. There is no such thing as a fake raid and not sure why you have it :-)

I can boot from the install DVD and get the live system, but when I opt to repair the existing installation I am always told that GRUB will not be reinstalled, because I did not install any new kernel modules. THAT is the biggest disappointment. I can live for now with the annoyance to potentially have to fix GRUB after installing updates/apps, but I don't even get really a chance....or better to say, I don't know how.

Any help is appreciated.

    David

Hi David, did you have the F7 install program make your raid-1 or did you do that after you installed F7? I am writing a paper on how to install raid-1 on an already installed home Hard Drive.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User