Re: The case against LVM

Mike McCarty wrote:

> The BIOS has nothing to do with the partition table layout. I have
> heard that some BIOS can lay down an MBR, but an MBR isn't even
> needed for boot.

It depends on the BIOS. Some BIOS's will refuse to boot off a hard
drive that does not have one primary partition marked as active. (Or
bootable, depending on the program setting the flag.) No, the BIOS
should not care about how the drive is partitioned. It should just
check the signature on the first sector of the drive for a valid
boot loader. But some BIOS's will check the partition table, and
refuse to boot if they don't like what they find.

Mikkel