Re: one more time -- broadcom wireless on f7

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Martin Marques wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > in other words, "if that doesn't work, try ...".    exactly the kind
> > of advice i was hoping to avoid.
> >
> > seriously, if you have the same setup i have, and you have a reliable
> > way to get wireless to work on f7/f8t1, by all means, drop me a note
> > offline and let me know what magic you used.  but, please, no notes
> > along the lines of "well, you might want to try *this* ..."  i've
> > "tried" a number of alleged solution -- now i'm ready for one that
> > simply works.  why is that such an unreasonable request?
>
> Try exactly what is said in:
>
> http://www.linux-noob.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t3014.html
>
> except that you should try with the bcm43xx-80211 driver.

  no offense, martin, but this is precisely what drives me a little
bit nuts about all the advice i've been getting.

  first, that very web page starts off by saying "Install
bcm4300-fwcutter" and, as the command, states:

  yum install bcm43xx-fwcutter

not a fatal typo, but why the mismatch in package names?  sloppy.

  second, step 5 claims that

  "You can either reboot or run the command below

      modprobe bcm43xx

i can guarantee that those two operations are *not* equivalent since
rebooting will *not* cause the bcm43xx module to be loaded (i tested
that this morning).  in short, that step is flat out wrong.

  and, finally, what is the "bcm43xx-80211" driver to which you refer
to above?  do you actually mean the correctly named
"bcm43xx_mac80211" driver?

  you can see what i'm talking about now -- lots of advice that
contains typoes or that cannot possibly be correct.  i appreciate the
obvious good intentions, but please stop giving me advice that you are
simply pulling out of thin air.  it's not helping.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page