Re: FC7 cannot play sound on ACER TravelMate 6291-100512

Nigel Henry wrote:

> Hi Yunus. Your modprobe.conf seems ok, but I believe you need to add a model
> option to one of the lines.
>
> I spent a bit of time on Google today, and a link on a post to the alsa
> developers list moved me to download the latest snapshot of the alsa driver.
> The post also suggested looking in ALSA-configuration.txt, which I found in
> the unpacked tarball.
>
> For the snd-hda-intel module, and the following chipsets refer to Acer
> Travelmate laptops. ALC260, and ALC883/888.
>
> You'll probably find that alsamixer shows the chipset as one of these.
>
> The suggestion for both of these is to set an option of "model=acer" (without
> the double quotes).
>
> It's worth a go, so open a konsole (CLI), su to root, and in a text editor,
> Gedit, Kwrite, etc, go to /etc/modprobe.conf, and change the last line that
> you show above, so that it says.
>
> options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=acer
>
> Save, then close the text editor. Still as root, run depmod -a, then reboot
> while praying.
>
> Whether this will work or not I don't know, but you only have to read through
> the ALSA-configuration.txt doc, to see how many variations there are (up to
> now), for chipsets that use snd-hda-intel. Links below.

You should not need to reboot. After running depmod, you should be
able to run "modprobe -r snd-card-0" and then "modprobe snd-card-0"
to reload the module with the new options. I did a fair amount of
that when trying to find the model that worked right with my Toshiba.

Mikkel