Re: USB drive problem

On 8/14/07, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rohan Kulkarni wrote:
> Hello,
>          I recently upgraded to kernel 2.6.22.1-41.fc7.I earlier had
> the kernel that comes along with Fedora 7 base system.My USB drive is
> not showing up on the desktop nor in the directory /media.But it is
> been shown as /dev/sdb1 on using fdisk - l.I need to mount it
> explicitly using mount command and use it only through the command
> prompt.The USB drive if connected before the system is booted shows up
> on the desktop and also in /media.I am also facing the same problem
> with CD's and DVD's which show up on the desktop only if i insert them
> before the fedora 7 boots.What can be the problem?This problem does
> not occur with the previous kernel that came with the F7 box.
    You should have got by update a new "udev" package. If you have not
got all the updates then wait until you do. Then your USB system will
work with that kernel :-)

--

        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
        Linux User

--

Hello,
         Sorry I did not get you.What is a udev package?I am a linux newbie.How do I get the udev package update?