Re: a couple questions about virtual hosts in Apache

On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 14:46 -0500, Scott wrote:
> I am accessing it via the domain name.
> the ip address I am getting if I do a dig is:
> 12.175.230.61
> but it is supposed to be:
> 75.104.20.115

The IP address is what's used by the network, the name is just a
reference.  If the IP is wrong, for whatever reason, it's not going to
work.

[tim@bigblack ~]$ dig +short pilotalk.com
75.104.20.115

> I think where my hosts live haven't updated the ip address yet
> though.

If your IP changes a lot, running a server from it is going to be a
problem.  Although you might be able to rig your updating script to
check more often, some dynamic IP services won't let you update your
records often enough, and anybody who's cached an answer to a query is
going to keep on using the old IP until the cached value expires (which
can be the DNS record lifetime, plus the cache's lifetime, plus
something else).

IP addresses really aren't supposed to change, the dynamic IP situation
we have is really a kludge to deal with an inadequate supply of IPs.

> and I put the following in my hosts I hope this is correct:
> 192.168.1.105 pilotalk.com www.pilotalk.com

If that's the LAN IP address, yes, that's how you can do it.

> As for logs about the only thing I see are some notices in the error_log
> that read like this:
> ----- [Sun Aug 12 11:12:36 2007] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper:
> /usr/sbin/suexec)
>
> I don't really see anything else that is holding it up unless it is the
> domain itself.

Nothing really in there other than usual status information.  If you'd
be unsuccessfully accessing the server, there'd be denial notices.  I
suspect that your IP mismatch, mentioned at the top of this message,
meant you weren't actually connecting to your server.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.