Re: a couple questions about virtual hosts in Apache

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 16:21 -0500, Scott wrote:
> Thanks for coming to the rescue grin!

;->

> Well they say to put a wild card in the example that they give in the
> Apache book but that is no problem to change.

I don't think you want it.  It sounds like you're following a "you could
do this" example, rather than what you need to do.

To be honest, most of what I know about Apache has been from reading
their manual, and experimenting.  I've asked a few questions, but mostly
the manual has what I needed to know.

> I also do have a NameVirtualHost. here is what it looks like.
>
> NameVirtualHost *:80

I think that so long as that comes before you define your virtual hosts,
you're fine (as far as writing the configuration file syntactically
correct).

> What I am hoping to see here is the index.php file from my Content
> Management System and I am not seeing that at all.  I think once I get
> one NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost down then I will be able to do
> others.

The main configuration (before you add to it) sets what the default is
for the server.  When you add virtual hosts to it, they answer for
connections to those specific domains, instead.  I found it best to have
the default return nothing, and have virtual hosts for anything that I
specifically wanted.  But that was just my preference.

> Just wondering I want to also make virtual hosts for bugzilla, svn,
> and mailman.

You only need to have virtual hosts if you want your server to behave
differently for different domains.  Acting as if there were completely
different servers for each of them.

> Also does a NameVirtualHost block need to be specified any time I use
> a different port?  For example, I might want Bugzilla on port 8080?

I haven't tried that.  It sounds logical, but I'd have to experiment.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.