Re: Producing pdf files with copyable text

*** Snip/Cut some parts ***

> Most Linux apps emit PostScript as their "natural" output language, then
> cups hands it to Ghostscript to turn into something the printer won't
> choke on. So, if your app will let you print-to-file, which FireFox will,
> you're all set.
>

> --
> ---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
>                        I can do all things through Christ
>                               who strengthens me.
> ------------------------------ Philippians 4:13 -------------------------------

Fred,

I have printed a copy of this message from Firefox to postscipt and used ps2pdf and I will attach a copy of it.  It text is copyable.  Using Fedora 7, this time.

[olivares@localhost Documents]$ evince fredex.pdf &
[1] 27413
[olivares@localhost Documents]$ Error: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
Error: Couldn't read xref table

This file was printed from Firefox but ***there is no cups PDF** like there was in FC6 machine so this is understood.

But then I printed to the postscript file again and then ps2pdf'd it and the text from it attached pdf fredex2.pdf is attached is copyable.

[1]+  Done                    evince fredex.pdf
[olivares@localhost Documents]$ ps2pdf fredex2.ps
[olivares@localhost Documents]$ evince fredex2.pdf &
[1] 27512
[olivares@localhost Documents]$
[olivares@localhost Documents]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.22.1-41.fc7 #1 SMP Fri Jul 27 18:10:34 EDT 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[1]+  Done                    evince fredex2.pdf

The postscript drivers are already built in and should work properly.  You are correct in your statements.  That everything should be all set already.  I guess I had not noticed it in Fedora Core 6, that the text was not copyable.  Thanks for opening up my eyes to this situation.  Thanks to Fedoar 7, where it is working fine!!!  **** Crossing fingers ****.

Regards,

Antonio

[olivares@localhost Documents]$ echo $(date +%Y/%m/%d~%H:%M:%S)
2007/08/11~22:04:37
[olivares@localhost Documents]$ uptime
 22:04:41 up 6 days, 23:01,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.27, 0.19
[olivares@localhost Documents]$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)

http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC