Re: USA export restrictions and GPL - how can they co-exist?

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 22:41 +0100, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 10:27pm on Friday, August 10, 2007 (UK time), James Kosin scrawled:
>
> > The US Armed forces is an exception.  As such the armed forces fall
> > under U.S. jurisdictional law and not foreign law.  Especially in
> > times of WAR; which we are currently in.
> >
> > Even when we occupy any foreign country, be it willingly or un-willingly.
> >
> > In some circumstances, the U.S. does have the right to waive those
> > laws... ie: if a soldier is caught selling drugs in some countries he
> > can be tried by the laws of that country.
>
> Yes but what I meant was that if a US serviceman took a Fedora laptop to
> Iraq, he would be breaking US laws (i.e. export controls) not that he
> would be breaking Iraqi laws.

The bases themselves are extensions of the US, much like embassy's,
although under a different umbrella, so if he stayed on base, no
violation.  If he lived on the local economy (as many do), then the
violation would depend a great deal on the status of forces agreements
and the rules of the base.

Regards,
Les H