Re: The case against LVM

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 20:57 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> > 2. SCSI does not limit LUNs to 16.
>
> I said _Fedora_ limits the number of SCSI partitions
> on a single SCSI disk to 16.

Yes, that's true.

> There may well be a way to modify this,
> but it is not available during a standard Fedora installation.

It would take a recompile of the kernel.

> > 3. Again, the 4 primary partition thing is an artifact from the PC BIOS.
> > There are systems that use a totally different partitioning scheme.  The
> > disks themselves don't give a toss.
>
> But _Fedora_ standard installation limits each disk to 4 primary partitions
> (even though this makes no sense when applied to SCSI disks).

Because Fedora is designed for PC-style hardware.  If you install it on
a SPARC, for example, that rule doesn't apply.

> > 4. The virtual partitions inside a primary extended partition are not
> > limited to 24 or whatever someone said earlier...that's an artifact of
> > the DOS/Windows limiting of hard drive letters to c: through z:.
> > There's nothing in the spec that says 24's the limit.
>
> I don't think anyone is talking about SCSI specs, except you.
> Everyone else is talking about Fedora.

I was trying to elucidate the differences between the restrictions
placed on it by the PC hardware and what the actual disk is capable
of.  Sorry if I confused people.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- "People tell me I look at the dark side.  That's not true.  I have -
-   the heart of a small boy......in a jar right here on my desk."   -
-                                                    -- Stephen King -