Re: Dumb curiosity question re new ASUS motherboard installation.

William Case wrote:

> But, the manual that came with the motherboard has setup disks etc.  The
> manual warns to do the setups and BIOS upgrades from a Windows only
> operating system.  My question is; what do people do who only have a
> Linux OS?  Are the setup CD's only useful to Window's users?  Or, is
> that warning only for liability protection?

I believe ASUS still has DOS BIOS upgrade programs. I normally use a
DOS boot media to handle this. (OpenDOS should work.) Depending on
the system, this may be a floppy, USB drive, or a CDRW. For the
CDRW, you have to build a CD image with a Dos boot, and the BIOS
update on it as well. The drawback is that you can not save a copy
of the old BIOS before updating it.

As far as the setup programs, I am not sure what ones you have, but
the ones I have run into are only useful for Windows - they do
things like install the drivers, or configure the installed drivers.
 I sort of recall one that would configure things in the BIOS, but
you could access the same settings by going into the BIOS setup...

Mikkel