Dumb curiosity question re new ASUS motherboard installation.

Hi;

Just installed a new ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard.  Used mkinitrd from my
Fedora rescue disk to find the hardware in order to boot to Linux
(Fedora).  I now have to figure out how to get my WindowsXP to boot.
(That's not the question; I'll figure it out or get help elsewhere)

But, the manual that came with the motherboard has setup disks etc.  The
manual warns to do the setups and BIOS upgrades from a Windows only
operating system.  My question is; what do people do who only have a
Linux OS?  Are the setup CD's only useful to Window's users?  Or, is
that warning only for liability protection?

--
Regards Bill