Yum, the repo, and failed dependencies

Hi.

The last several months, I have seen a rising occurrence of failed dependencies when I try to install or update packages. Today, I wanted to install the package groups "Development Tools" and "Development Libraries", but of course, there were (again) failed dependencies, and the package installation would abort.

I understand issues such as mirror discrepancies, and the tendency of Yum to only try the latest version of each package. It would be great to have a way for Yum to try earlier versions of packages to satisfy available dependencies.

If I try to install package foo-1.1, which requires bar-1.1, but only bar-1.0 is available (e.g. due to lagging mirror sync), wouldn't it be possible for Yum to try with foo-1.0 instead? Is there maybe already such an option? As it is now, I'd have to track down all those packages manually, just because Yum insists on installing the latest version. It should be the default, but it should also try older versions if it cannot satisfy the dependencies of the latest version.

With updates, there is the skip-broken Yum plugin, but that won't help when I have a specific package to install.

Regards
Ingemar