Re: Fedora 7 : Fresh Install, defaulted to Runlevel 3

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 23:19 -0400, jimacornette@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Anyway, the tools for Linux post-install launched SMART which revealed
> 3 bad sectors on the drive. I take it the bad sectors was on xp since
> there was a mini-dump when the computer needed attention. Also, she
> had 93% usage on the disk which was ntfs and Linux flagged this. I
> really like all the information Linux provides to the user.

A proper format may be required when you get bad sectors.  If the system
can write to the drive and clear the blocks (well, the drive pretends,
in the background), and the warnings go away, you'll probably be okay.
If you keep on seeing error warnings, I wouldn't trust the drive, at
all.  Those bad blocks could have been the demise of your XP
installation.

I like the information Linux provides much more than Windows, too.  I
had a cheap box that wasn't very reliable, but Windows gave no clues as
to why.  Linux did, however, give me warnings that I could use to
diagnose the fault.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386