Re: Fedora 7 : Fresh Install, defaulted to Runlevel 3

On 8/4/07, jimacornette@xxxxxxxxxxxx <jimacornette@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 14:44 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> >> Not to mention the installation in text mode installs packages
> >> completely different than the packages that were selected. Just a
> >> caution. I ran a text installation yesterday which broke that way.
>
> > I get something similar with graphical installs.  You remove some
> things
> > you don't want, they get put back in.  They're not all dependencies,
> as
> > you can individually remove the post-installation.
>
> The problems for me seemed to be that the optional packages did not que
> up properly.
> The displayed package was not the actual package which was installed.
> Also, packages like mc and k3b were listed as optional packages but
> were not on the install cd.
> The installer gave me the option to pick a host of games but not even
> the kde or gnome games were installed.
> There seem to not be care to the text installer. I expected the same
> for text as with the GUI, minus the GUI eye candy.
> Eventually I got the system tailored to my desired install choices via
> yum, but not as smooth as a correct acting installer would have
> resulted in.
> Anyway, we have another Linux user, not by choice but because of
> experimental adaptation because she destroyed her XP installation and
> the "support department" (free of charge of course) installed Fedora to
> get her back on the net.
> The reason that I even used the text installer was because the GUI
> installer could not open rpms at certain points in the installation. I
> then decided to try the text installer which completed but with chance
> packages vs. desired.
>
> Anyway, the tools for Linux post-install launched SMART which revealed
> 3 bad sectors on the drive. I take it the bad sectors was on xp since
> there was a mini-dump when the computer needed attention. Also, she had
> 93% usage on the disk which was ntfs and Linux flagged this. I really
> like all the information Linux provides to the user.
>
> Thanks to having ntfs-3g, transferring all docs from the xp install to
> the Linux install was not a hard task to accomplish. The transfer of
> bookmarks was a bit tricky from seamonkey xp bound onto seamonkey Linux.
>
> Anyway don't expect the text installer to provide exactly what the GUI
> installer provides. It is usable if you get weird errors when using the
> GUI installer.
>
> Sorry for the rambling and netscape.net formated mail.
>
> Jim

I have used text mode installation many times in the past because
Anaconda would select the disabled on-board video instead of the
add-on slot mounted video. I had no problem selecting the packages
that I wanted installed. Perhaps that's because I'm used to having to
dig/click past the first settings to get the underlying choices. Note:
Like some on this list I sure do miss the install everything option.