Re: Fedora 7 : Fresh Install, defaulted to Runlevel 3

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 14:44 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
Not to mention the installation in text mode installs packages
completely different than the packages that were selected. Just a
caution. I ran a text installation yesterday which broke that way.

I get something similar with graphical installs. You remove some
things
you don't want, they get put back in. They're not all dependencies,
as
you can individually remove the post-installation.

The problems for me seemed to be that the optional packages did not que up properly.
The displayed package was not the actual package which was installed.
Also, packages like mc and k3b were listed as optional packages but were not on the install cd. The installer gave me the option to pick a host of games but not even the kde or gnome games were installed. There seem to not be care to the text installer. I expected the same for text as with the GUI, minus the GUI eye candy. Eventually I got the system tailored to my desired install choices via yum, but not as smooth as a correct acting installer would have resulted in. Anyway, we have another Linux user, not by choice but because of experimental adaptation because she destroyed her XP installation and the "support department" (free of charge of course) installed Fedora to get her back on the net. The reason that I even used the text installer was because the GUI installer could not open rpms at certain points in the installation. I then decided to try the text installer which completed but with chance packages vs. desired.

Anyway, the tools for Linux post-install launched SMART which revealed 3 bad sectors on the drive. I take it the bad sectors was on xp since there was a mini-dump when the computer needed attention. Also, she had 93% usage on the disk which was ntfs and Linux flagged this. I really like all the information Linux provides to the user.

Thanks to having ntfs-3g, transferring all docs from the xp install to the Linux install was not a hard task to accomplish. The transfer of bookmarks was a bit tricky from seamonkey xp bound onto seamonkey Linux.

Anyway don't expect the text installer to provide exactly what the GUI installer provides. It is usable if you get weird errors when using the GUI installer.

Sorry for the rambling and netscape.net formated mail.

Jim

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386