Re: Remote X11 Connection

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 20:17 +1000, Tony Crouch wrote:
> Hi All,
> Just a curious question regarding connection to remote X11 machines
> through ssh.
>
> Today, I was wanting to edit some remote files on my university's data
> server. I used the following command to connect:
>
> ssh -Y ...
>
> I noticed though on connecting and using emacs to open the required file
> the GUI of the server (which uses KDE) was loaded not my local GUI (Gnome)
> with the data of the file imported.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew how to configure ssh or X11 so that my
> local GUI is loaded and remote data is imported.

What you experience is what I would expect to happen. I am not sure this
behavior can be changed. You are running the remote window manager under
your X.

 Do not despair of life. You have no doubt force enough to overcome your
obstacles. Think of the fox prowling through wood and field in a winter
night for something to satisfy his hunger. Notwithstanding cold and
hounds and traps, his race survives. I do not believe any of them ever
committed suicide. -- Henry David Thoreau