Remote X11 Connection

Hi All,
Just a curious question regarding connection to remote X11 machines
through ssh.

Today, I was wanting to edit some remote files on my university's data
server. I used the following command to connect:

ssh -Y ...

I noticed though on connecting and using emacs to open the required file
the GUI of the server (which uses KDE) was loaded not my local GUI (Gnome)
with the data of the file imported.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to configure ssh or X11 so that my
local GUI is loaded and remote data is imported.

Thanks for all your help.

All the best.

Cheers,
Tony Crouch