Re: Confused about NFS

Arthur,

Arthur Pemberton schrieb:
I am a bit confused about NFS in fedora/centos:

system-config-securitylevel has a checkbox option for NFS4 which does
little in the way of opening up firewall access to NFS. checking the
nfs-utils package, I see no mention of NFS4, so I'm left to assume
it's not NFS4 on the system.

If you are using F7 you should have /sbin/mount.nfs4 which is used by mount if you specify -t nfs4 (note that you have to specify nfs4 explicitly).

/etc/sysconfig/nfs is very useful for configuring NFS for access
through the firewall, but there is no sample version of the file.

The default firewall settings are only used for NFS4 and I suppose your /etc/exports file is in the "old" NFS format. NFS4 is using a slightly other syntax. Please have a look at this howto-page:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/

You will also find useful information in 'man 5 exports'. Make sure however that you use english as your locale (export LANG=C) before viewing this manpage. I noticed that the german localization of this manpage is outdated so this could apply to other localizations too.

What's the purpose of the NFS4 checkbox in securitylevel, and why is
NFS access so complicated to setup?

Using the new format of /etc/exports and 'checking the checkbox' should work out of the box.

Best regards!
Christian