Re: f7 printer sharing problem

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 20:58 -0400, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >    Hello there,
> >            I have a firewall/router/print-server running F7 which
> has
> > problems with samba.
> >    The printer was shared by clicking the 'share' box in
> > system-config-printer, and this works, and can be accessed remotely.
> > However, at boot-up the printer (and samba shares) cannot be seen by
> > other systems. When I fiddle with system-config-printer (e.g. switch
> > sharing off and then on again) it then works. (and so do the samba
> > shares)
> >    I guess the problem might be iptables related as I have my own
> setup
> > for the router bit. But "iptables -L" does not seem to be changing.
> >     Does anyone have an idea what might be changing?
> >     Better still, how to make it work without the palaver?
> ----
> I would think from your description that the issue is that neither
> cupsd
> nor smb daemons are set to run at startup.
>
> get a virtual console (command line)
> su to root (su -)
> chkconfig cups on
> chkconfig smb on
>
> and see what happens after the next restart.
>
> otherwise, it's possible that the problem is with cups.conf itself.
>
> Try this...
>
> reboot
> open a virtual console (command line)
> su to root (su -)
> cp /etc/cups/cupsd.conf /tmp/cupsd.conf
> cp /etc/cups/printers.conf /tmp/printers.conf
>
> then do whatever it is you do to make printer sharing work again
> then back to the virtual console
> diff -u /etc/cups/cupsd.conf /tmp/cupsd.conf
> diff -u /etc/cups/printers.conf /tmp/printers.conf
>
> let us know the output of those commands (this will tell us what
> changed
> if anything)
>
> --
> Craig White <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> #
   Hi Craig,
  I don't know why I didn't think about services. I didn't quite debug
it the way you suggest. I went through system-config-services to see
what was running but is not switched on by default. Turns out that
'nmb' was off by default, but was now running. I don't really know what
this is, but "Starts and stops the Samba smbd and nmbd daemons used to
provide SMB network services." sounds likely to be relevant.
    I'll reboot as soon as I get a quiet moment..
          Thank you,
           Bill