Re: f7 printer sharing problem

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 22:17 +0100, William Murray wrote:
>    Hello there,
>            I have a firewall/router/print-server running F7 which has
> problems with samba.
>    The printer was shared by clicking the 'share' box in
> system-config-printer, and this works, and can be accessed remotely.
> However, at boot-up the printer (and samba shares) cannot be seen by
> other systems. When I fiddle with system-config-printer (e.g. switch
> sharing off and then on again) it then works. (and so do the samba
> shares)
>    I guess the problem might be iptables related as I have my own setup
> for the router bit. But "iptables -L" does not seem to be changing.
>     Does anyone have an idea what might be changing?
>     Better still, how to make it work without the palaver?
----
I would think from your description that the issue is that neither cupsd
nor smb daemons are set to run at startup.

get a virtual console (command line)
su to root (su -)
chkconfig cups on
chkconfig smb on

and see what happens after the next restart.

otherwise, it's possible that the problem is with cups.conf itself.

Try this...

reboot
open a virtual console (command line)
su to root (su -)
cp /etc/cups/cupsd.conf /tmp/cupsd.conf
cp /etc/cups/printers.conf /tmp/printers.conf

then do whatever it is you do to make printer sharing work again
then back to the virtual console
diff -u /etc/cups/cupsd.conf /tmp/cupsd.conf
diff -u /etc/cups/printers.conf /tmp/printers.conf

let us know the output of those commands (this will tell us what changed
if anything)

--
Craig White <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>