Re: f7 printer sharing problem

William Murray wrote:
>    Hi Craig,
>   I don't know why I didn't think about services. I didn't quite debug
> it the way you suggest. I went through system-config-services to see
> what was running but is not switched on by default. Turns out that
> 'nmb' was off by default, but was now running. I don't really know what
> this is, but "Starts and stops the Samba smbd and nmbd daemons used to
> provide SMB network services." sounds likely to be relevant.
>     I'll reboot as soon as I get a quiet moment..
>           Thank you,
>            Bill

Think of nmb as the Windows name server. It translates the Windows
name for a machine to the IP address. (Note - the Windows name may
not be the same as the hostname.) It should handle discovery of what
Windows networking machines are on the network. For a more complete
description you can run "man nmbd" or read the nmbd info page.

Mikkel